Toasting is an important part of any celebration, and these toasts are of special significance among the Irish – Past International Toastmaster President Ted Corcoran, from Dublin, Ireland.
In 2003-04, I served as the District Governor for Toastmasters District 52. What that means is serving as the CEO for the District. It was quite an experience, not necessarily one I would repeat, but certainly one that benefitted me hugely in many ways. Every seven years a District is graced by a visit of the President of Toastmasters International. That was during my term, and the International President was the charming Ted Cocoran from Ireland.
In this photo Ted is opening a painting of his portrait purchased from an artist as a gift from the District:
So, given this history, I was pretty excited to see the post from Toastmasters International that indicated it has selected the 10 Irish toasts below as its choices for raising a glass and celebrating with a toast this St. Patrick’s Day. Here they are:
- “There are only two kinds of people in the world, the Irish and those who wish they were.”
- “May your home always be too small to hold your friends.”
- “May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.”
- “May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you’re dead.”
- “To all the days here and after, may they be filled with fond memories, happiness and laughter.”
- “May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.”
- “May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more. And nothing but happiness comes through your door.”
- “May your bank account always be bigger than your troubles.”
- “May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.”
- “If you’re enough lucky to be Irish, you’re lucky enough!”